I've often meant to do a blog with a work progress theme, so today I made my idle self photograph stuff as I went along.
My day off has been put to very good use. I've been working since before 8am and just finished a little while ago. I set myself a very challenging project, which has been flitting round in my head since the weekend.
First I needed to do some drawings. I used a ruler and compass to get the basic shape of the compass, then drew the octopus freehand.
Next I arranged the image the way I wanted it and traced it with a very soft pencil onto tracing paper.
The image was then transferred old school style onto the lino sheet by rubbing the back of the tracing paper. I have to use a really strong desk lamp for this, as the lino is quite a dark colour, not the best for seeing pencil lines.
Next comes the cutting. I use several different sizes of lino cutting tools to achieve different grades of lines. I do tend towards the very fine one though, since I enjoy creating lots of detail.
I made some mistakes and had to use a little bit of modelling putty to fill in one gap. It doesn't show up too badly in the finished print, but I know it's there even if nobody else does.
The final stage is to mix up coloured inks with a printing medium and create the finished image by rolling a thin layer of colour onto the lino. Paper is placed onto the ink and burnished down with a nifty little tool I found in an art shop recently.
Here's my finished nautical design. It's ever so slightly smaller than A4 size and has taken me a total of about 10 hours from start to finish.