Follow UmbelMania on Twitter

Wednesday 18 May 2011

Chop Chop Busy Busy

Very early and bustling start today. I have a list a mile long of things I need to do; stuff to pack, cakes to decorate, hair to dye (I look like a Clampet at the moment), card to cut and things to find. I sat in bed last night with my notebook (I keep one on the bedside table) writing things that I need to remind myself about today. I so need a workshop here where I can hold my classes to save carting twenty million things across town and running the risk of forgetting something crucial. I haven't had to call Jay mid-class to bring vital kit over yet, but it's going to happen one day.

Hopefully I'll get everything done first thing and then I can get on with some work and not waste the day too much. I was incredulous at the backgrounds I did yesterday morning. I don't know if it's the current weather or what, but they still weren't dry at bedtime! They're ready now though, luckily. I'd have thrown a wobbly if they were still wet this morning.

I had a lovely sleep last night with happy dreams and all that. I all too frequently have nightmares and strange sleeps, so it's notable that it was a good one. I wasn't altogether delighted at 6.15am when the alarm went off, but I'm here, I've had my coffee and I ought to be running at full power in oh, about half an hour.

Tomorrow I must have the place cleared and be busying myself making another book. We have my father in law's birthday coming up and the general consensus is that he'd love a leather book. He makes a lot of stuff himself, mostly in wood, so he appreciates hand crafted things. I also have a commission to do, though the date has been moved, giving me a little more time. It's a really special one and needs particular papers sourced as well as a spectacular cover. I'm giving it a good long coat of thinking about just now.

My paintings are receiving some fantastic feedback. I'm very touched at what people are saying and the amount of folk who are saving up to buy them. I know what it's like to have items that really call out to you, but not have the cash to indulge yourself. I have a good twenty things on Folksy that I'd buy in a heartbeat if I could afford them. Unfortunately we makers are mostly all in the same boat, eeking out a living and not able to purchase luxuries, yet we're the ones who most appreciate them. Oh the irony of it all. I'm still looking for that elusive platform for promotion, but all things come to those who wait, etc.

Right, on with my tasks. I could use a small army of helpers right now if any are at a loose end :-)

1 comment:

  1. "Unfortunately we makers are mostly all in the same boat, eeking out a living and not able to purchase luxuries, yet we're the ones who most appreciate them. Oh the irony of it all."

    How very true! One of the things that annoys me the most is that I am selling jewellery I couldn't afford to buy. I started out keeping my prices low enough that people like myself could afford to buy, but eventually had to concede defeat - I like quality beads and components and deserve to be paid for the work I put into what I make.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.